Skip to content
Capilano Courier
Menu
  • Home
  • Sections
    • News
    • Features & The Profile
    • Arts & Culture
    • Letters
    • Humour
    • Video Production
  • About
    • Advertise
    • Contribute
  • Meet the Crew
  • Online Issues
  • Events
Menu

Capilano University cancels Fall 2020 study abroad trips

Posted on September 8, 2020September 7, 2020 by Mariah Klein

The Study Abroad program postpones travel until Spring 2021

Mariah Klein // Contributor

Students accepted into Capilano University (CapU)’s study abroad program for Fall 2020 have delayed their trips until Spring 2021, as CapU waits for Canadian travel restrictions to be lifted. “We’re all waiting for what’s going to happen this fall and winter and if there’s going to be another wave of the pandemic,” said Study Abroad and Partnerships Officer Stasa Andric. 

“What I’ve been finding is that despite COVID-19, students are still interested in travelling and going abroad, and so they are still applying for the Spring semester in comparable numbers to last year.” While Andric finds it somewhat surprising that students have remained enrolled in the program, she says refundable deposits mean “there’s very little risk for them applying right now; there’s little commitment until we get later in the year.”  

The Study Abroad program is dedicated to ensuring that students have the opportunity to experience a semester abroad, once it is safe to do so. “How [COVID-19] ultimately pans out is beyond anyone’s ability to determine, but we are just monitoring it closely, and when it’s safe we’ll try to set up all our avenues for individuals to continue these experiences,” said CapU Director, International Chris Bottrill.  

Cambodia and Vietnam field schools were scheduled right before the first COVID-19 outbreaks this past spring. Although students prepared for these field schools in the months leading up to the departure, the trip was ultimately canceled. Instead, CapU launched a virtual field school as a way for students to build relationships with Cambodian and Vietnamese locals—and for the students to help address the issues these communities are facing as a result of COVID-19. “We were trying to find alternatives because we believe in the value of this experience so much,” says Botrrill. “In the end, we decided that the right thing to do for the continuity for the students was to run a virtual field school.”  

Even amidst the uncertainty of next year, Andric says the team is ready to hear from anyone interested in the program. “We want to hear about your goals, why you want to go abroad and work with you to see if [an opportunity] that’s short term or long term is available for you.”  

The team is still accepting applications until September 15th, and have information sessions available on their website.

Category: News

Post navigation

← Capilano Students’ Union Releases 2020-25 Strategic Plan
Actions Speak Louder Than Words—So Where Are They? →

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Upcoming Tabling Hours: Thursdays, 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., at either the Learning Commons entrance (LB 126) or Birch Cafeteria.

Latest News

  • The Collateral Damage of Cutting Courses
    As CapU faces financial woes, students are being forced to take required courses elsewhere  Ben Taylor (he/him) // Crew Writer   Jasmine […]
  • Deficit Mitigation Proposals Meet Outdated Policies
    The key policy grey areas impacting Senate’s role in high-stakes decisions Laura Morales Padilla (she/her) // Co-EIC & Ilustrator  The […]
  • CapU Introduces Protest Guidelines
    Capilano University quietly introduces guidelines for protests on campus, emphasizes campus grounds are ‘private property’  Jolee Wen […]
  • CapU Announces the Closure of Sunshine Coast Kálax̱-ay Campus and the ‘not closure’ of CapU Lonsdale
    Administration consolidates two key satellite campuses as financial woes continue  Ren Zhang (they/they)  // Contributor & […]
  • Major Win for CapU Student Workers   
    New Student Employee Union Gets Wage Increase  Mayumi Izumi (she/her) // Contributor Rachel Lu (She/Her) // Illustrator Organizers at […]
  • Orange Pilled
    Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim’s Bitcoin Obsession   Ben Taylor (He/Him) // Crew Writer   Alex Baidanuta (She/Her) // Illustrator    […]
Video Production
On Monday, January 19th, BC student leaders held a press conference outside the Constituency Office of Jessie Sunner—Minister of Post-Secondary Education & Future Skills and MLA for Surrey-Newton. 

Kevin Root—Chairperson of the Alliance of BC Students, Solomon Yi-Kieran—Vice-President External of the UBC Alma Mater Society, and Jessica Lamb—VP External & Community Affairs of the Simon Fraser Student Society commented on the government's review of the post-secondary education sector and their experience during the "incredibly short" consultation period.

00:00 - Intro
00:18 - What happened on January 19th?
00:52 - Opening remarks by the Chairperson of the ABCS
01:02 - Why the federal cap on international students heavily impacted colleges and universities across the province.
01:47 - The government needs to pay their fair share of the operating costs to keep the system afloat
02:49 - Any changes to the tuition limit policy would be a direct attack on students
03:23 - Demands from students
03:48 - Why is the review dangerous?
04:35 - Is the review a performative act?
05:11 - How would a tuition increase impact students and the province?
07:02 - Key takeaways
PROTECT STUDENTS | BC Students stand together against tuition increases, mergers and dangerous cuts
Subscribe
What even is a Zine? Mia shows us a behind the scene of how this little publication comes together, the vision behind it, and how to become a paid contributor of the C.C. Crumb!
Indigenous power means something different to every student, but it always begins with voice, community, and truth. Hear what CapU students had to say.
What does campus clean-up day look like?
© 2026 Capilano Courier | Powered by Minimalist Blog WordPress Theme