A hidden money-saving fact surrounding your CapU health plan.
Ren Zhang (they/them) // Contributor
Every year, The Capilano Student’s Union offers health and dental plans to all full-time CapU students. This plan provides numerous benefits including prescription medication coverage, dental care, therapy coverage and more.
However, for any student already covered by the plans of their families or workplaces, the ability to opt out of CSU care could save them money they’re already spending with tuition. Students can opt out of either or both of the CSU plans, saving up to $274.75 for the policy year from Sept.1, 2023 to Aug. 31, 2024. Students are only allowed to opt out during the Change of Coverage period, which lasts until Sept. 18, 2023.
Many students have expressed an immense interest in opting out and the flexibility to control their tuition costs for their needs, including some who hope to partially opt out, such as Nathan Lintott, a third year CapU student.
Students surveyed shared that access to opt-out information was not universally accessible, with some having been informed during high school and others trying the process on their own, often without success. Some cited being taught how to do so at their high school, while others have tried the opt-out process on their own, without success.
Those wanting to opt out may follow the steps below:
- First, go to the website, www.studentcare.ca. From there, type Capilano University into the prompted “association or school” bar.
- Next, Scroll down and click Coverage Overview. Scroll down once more to view the link called Opt Out or Complete an Enrolment. *
*Alternatively, from the home page, scroll down to find a subheading called Coverage on the right side of the screen with the link, Opt Outs underneath. Click on the link Opt Out Now.
- Fill in required fields and continue after accepting the terms and conditions.
- View current status and coverage; scroll down to find Change My Coverage.
- Change your coverage preferences. This is where you can opt out of both plans or just one.
- Provide proof of your non-CSU coverage—this may include having policy numbers or related documents on hand.
- Proceed to review your new coverage and confirm your changes.
Afterward, students will be ready to begin their school year with altered coverage to meet their specified requirements.
*We should also add that the refund does not come in the form of a cheque, but as a credit to your CapU Account.
Once more, the deadline to complete the opt-out process is Sept. 18, 2023.